THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday 9 May 2010

Last few books...

So I've been really lazy and not bothered to update on the books I have been reading. And then I sucked myself into watching Grey's Anatomy for a good few weeks and went off reading. Seem to have periods of overdosing on something I enjoy doing and then go off it for awhile, which happened with my reading. Keeps me sane I suppose.


Brief update on books I've read since last blogged:

Cider House Rules

Such a very strange book, but so good! I think it only took me a week to read it because it was just that good. It's a story about a young man named Homer Wells and his life growing up in an orphanage where he becomes an apprentice in abortion and birth. Then by fate he meets a young couple, who come from a very wealthy apple orchard family and have come to the orphanage for an abortion. Homer thinks it's time to experience the world outside the orphanage and takes up the offer of working on the apple orchard in a cider-making factory. And basically the story goes on of his life there as well and about his strange relationship with the wife of his best friend (the young couple).

My explanations suck, but it's actually really good. There was even a film too- so you know it's got to be good.



Though not sure I like the fact that Michael Caine is in this film...isn't he a bit too English for such an American film? I may have to watch it now....


The Long Walk- actually a true story


Its 1939 and a polish cavalry officer has been captured by the Russians. He's put through quite a bit of torture and long, pointless trial in which he is sentenced 25 years. For 3 months he and other prisoners take on a gruelling trek through north Russia in mid-winter and finally reach their destination of a desolate camp. The story goes through his planned efforts of escape with 5 others and their successful escape from the camp and their epic trek from north Russia all the way to India.
I have to say at some points I got a bit bored as I wasn't sure where the book was going, but from the point of reaching the camp and then on I was gripped. Quite a lot of description, but just so interesting to read and to actually know he made it through all of that!- from the coldest of winters to the hottest of deserts to the climb through the Himalayas.


Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass




There's not really much that can be said about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I enjoyed it so much, mainly because I'm quite familiar with the story from different version films of the book. I didn't enjoy Through the Looking Glass too much as I didn't really know the story, but could see that the Disney cartoon film definitely used some of the characters in that book to create a rather different story for the film...not sure if I liked that in the end. Also found it at times difficult to read with the millions of songs/poems which I can't actually stand....but nevertheless it's something to cross off having read.

Although I am still trying to figure out how Tim Burton came up with the story for his version of Alice in Wonderland, I could point out a few characters and references in Through the Looking Glass that were in the film, such as the Jaberwocky.


I remember going to the theatre when at college to see Alice in Wonderland- it was nearly a damn pantomime!- but it was quite good. The costumes were so colourful and attractive and the way it was staged was so really creative in trying to portray certain points in the story such as Alice drinking the liquid that makes her massive and then the eating of the cake which makes her really tiny. I can't exactly remember it now but I remember it just 'wowing' me.


Also to add- love the illustrations...

0 comments: