THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday 15 March 2010

The Book Thief- Markus Zusak


This is one book that I never thought I would end up liking. I had always seen it in the bookstore for the past year, and would always consider it, but then after reading the summary on the back, I feel disinterested in the book. It wasn't until my mom had read it and recommended reading it, that I gave it a chance.

It's about a young German girl, Liesel, who goes to live with foster parents after her own parents are sent to a concentration camp in 1939. The book is narrated by Death (yes, random I know) and follows 5 years of Liesel's life living in Nazi Germany. It took a couple of chapters to really get into it as I wasn't really sure as to where the book was going. I actually enjoyed it by the time I got to the end of the book. I had gotten so wrapped up in the story and this fictional girl's life and at times I felt quite emotional.

Really, I do seem to get quite emotional when it comes to stories about WWII. I know most people now are pretty bored of hearing these stories, fictional or non-fictional, but I find it fascinating and also disturbing that a certain race of people could be treated the way they had been. Although the story follows a German, non-Jewish girl, it still crosses over with the story of the Jews suffering under the hand of Hitler. I suppose that is what makes the story unique to others based during this era, that it brushes on the story of the Jews but focuses on a German girl who has to experience all of this at such a young age.

I may have to look into more books based around this era too. There's just so much to learn from what happened, I don't see how anyone could get bored of it.

0 comments: